Thursday, November 13, 2008

Internet Shopping and Returns

To start with a personal note, sorry it has taken me so long to get back with another post. Since I have retired, I don’t know how I had time to work before. Back to the subject at hand, recently I had ordered a product from one of the stores associated with, TBD Associates Electronic Stores. When I received the item I realized that it was the wrong one. I contacted the store, and was sent to their return policy section. To my surprise, it was very easy to follow the instructions and was put in contact with the product provider, via email. I explained the situation, the item I received was not the one that I had ordered, and included attachments showing the item description that I had ordered and the one I had received. Now, I sent this email at about 7:00 pm. The next morning at 7:30 am, I had received an email stating that they had received my email and were in the process of reviewing it and would get back with me as soon as possible. Now, regular stores say this and usually after a week, you have to repeat the process as there are no records of your initial call and the person that you talked with is not working. Again to my surprise, I received another email from them early in the afternoon, the same day. They had researched my complaint and found that an error had been made. They then stated that the item I wanted, and repeated it’s description, was in stock and cost $10.00 more than my original purchase. However, due to the error on their part, if I still wanted the item there would be no additional charges. Well to say the least I immediately returned the email stating that I definitely wanted the item. They informed me that the return shipping labels would be sent to me with-in the next several days and the proper item would be sent out. In most cases that would have been the end of the deal. Several days later, I received a follow-up call from the provider, who assured me that he was going to double check and make sure that everything was taken care of in accordance with our understanding.

No matter who we deal with, when humans are involved, mistakes will happen. What I tend to look at is not the problem, but how I am treated, and how they resolve the issue is what I look at. In a regular store, to return an item can be a contest of wills, not to mention the time to drive to the location, walk inside with the item and being viewed as if you may have stolen the item. The sales person usually has to call a supervisor, more waiting, you again explain it to the supervisor, he looks you up and down and then removes the item from the box, inspects it for any external damage, then has you fill-out a return/exchange form and of course wants to see your original sales receipt, along with your personal identification to verify your name and address. This process can take anywhere from 10 to 15 minutes, to an hour. All together you spent time driving, parking, waiting in line and going through the inspection process. Now, with the Internet I spent a total of about 15 minutes, no driving, no parking, no dealing with crowds, and no dealing with the salesperson, supervisor or manager.
Basically, if you are dealing with a reputable store or company online, they will usually treat you fairly. They know that customers on the Internet expect to be treated fairly and quickly, or they will not return. Whereas a lot of physical stores don’t really care, there are always more customers. I also realize that there are horror stories about online shopping problems also, but in my experience, when dealing with a reputable store online I have always been treated fairly and respectably.
Send me your comments on the good and bad experiences you have had dealing with stores and with the Internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment